Ultimately, taking steps to prevent chemical attacks is the best means of defense.
Concentrating its efforts through the Global Chemical and Biological Security group (GCBS), Sandia develops and deploys innovative solutions for countering biological and chemical threats worldwide.
GCBS delivers these solutions through multiple efforts:
- Longstanding partnerships with relevant organizations bring a wealth of expertise and resources to chemical defense.
- Training is equipping people across the globe to address threats.
- Drawing on our standardized approaches to risk management, we develop tools and resources that aid others in understanding and prioritizing chemical risk.
- We apply a systems analysis approach to reducing chemical threat risks, including by analyzing categories of threats in different locations.
Several articles highlight Sandia's work to enhance resources in this area:
- A Sandia-developed fertilizer that fizzles in homemade bombs could save lives around the world.
- Sandia’s Nancy Jackson, named American Chemical Society Fellow, is helping scientists keep chemicals safe and secure, including by keeping tabs on the world’s most dangerous chemicals.
- Sandia research focuses on ‘switching on’ iron in clay minerals, providing understanding for decreasing the impact of chemicals in the environment.